Sunday, November 9, 2008

my weight loss journey


Well, I've decided it's time to buckle down and get serious about losing weight. I'm tired of not feeling good about myself. I do have PCOS (poly cystic ovarian syndrome) which makes my journey a bit tough but what my PCOS does not know is it can't defeat me when I have my mind made up to do something! I've been reading "You on a diet" by Dr. Oz and some other dr. and it's very insightful, even if you don't need to lose weight at this point in life, it has alot of great information. I've also implimented a new life style change. Jeremy isn't thrilled about the extra money spent on groceries but I think, when it's all said and done, he'd much rather spend a litte extra on groceries than alot on medical bills. I've lost about 10 lbs so far and I've only been doing this a week - a week an 1/2. It's not near as hard as I thought. I don't know why I didn't do this sooner. Well, Iguess I do. I've been pregnant or breast feeding for the last 5 years. hahaha. ANYWAY, I never really fry food at home. I don't like the splattering popping grease so I didn't have to worry about cutting those things out. (and anyone who knows me from my childhood will tell you what a change that is for me. I used to LOVE me some fried potato's!) I've never really been a big sweets eater anyway unless it was my grandma's cobbler but for the rare occasion I may have a sweet tooth, we keep either carmel or chocolate mini rice cakes to munch on. I keep weight watchers ice cream bars instead of regular ice cream. I'm not a big chips eater either but sometimes crave something crunchy and salty so I keep ranch mini rice cakes to snack on and mixed nuts. I eat 3 meals a day starting off with oatmeal and a glass of 1% milk in the morning. I have a mid morning snack which usually consists of an apple. My lunch is usually some sort of turkey, tuna, or chicken wrap or sandwich. I'm using the Ezekiel bread for my bread and the Ezekiel tortilla's for my wraps. If you haven't heard of it, google it. It's some awesome all natural bread. The recipe was created from Ezekiel 4:9. Then I'll have a mid afternoon snack. Usually another apple. Sometimes it may be mixed nuts or dried fruit. For dinner, we typically have baked chicken or baked salmon or tilapia. Sometimes chicken salad or sometimes baked cornish game hens. With that, we will have some sort of fresh or frozen veggie that I will either steam or boil. Mayeb even 2 veggies. I make sure I drink at least 8 8oz. glasses of water a day. I've cut out all soda. If it's not water, juice, unsweetened tea, or unsweatened coffee, I don't drink it. I may on occasion (once a month) stop and get a cola icee. Starbucks will be my weekly cheat once I drop another 10 lbs. We are starting to substitut whole wheat pasta for regular pasta. I don't use salad dressing. I use olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
Sounds like alot of changes but it really wasn't a huge change for us. We are big veggie and fruit eaters anyway. It's just a matter of cutting out the soda's, sugars, and all the proccessed garbage. We also bought a cheap old treadmill off of craigslist that I'm using now as well. I'm already feeling my energy come back which is a good thing. With 3 little ones, I need all the energy I can get. hahaha. I make sure to take a multi vitamin everyday as well.
For anyone needing to go down the same road, I highly reccomend getting Dr. Oz's book. I found the cheapest place to find it was Ebay. Amazon had some cheap ones but I got mine for like $7.00 and they are usually somewhere between $24.00-$32.00. I also reccomend looking up recipes on weight watchers.com and keeping a daily log of what you consume. It helps out so much!
Good luck and happy losing to all you losers! :)

No comments: